Thread: Prime Base
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Default Prime Base demographics

So if Prime Base requires 4000 active staff members (which I think is the upper limit) how many total people and of what age groups would that population contain?

So I'm going to make some assumption.
The Project was more willing to take a couple if both members were functional within the Base in preference to a couple in which only one of the members was.

I am going to throw out that 85% of all couples in the base are both staffers and only 15% are couples that consist of one staffer and a "dependent".

The birth rate among couples in Prime Base was 1/8 that of the average (some couples will bring children with them, but I would bet that most would likely hold off until after the war "just in case".

That the rate of married vs single people is 80% of normal. Instead of around 45% this is around 36%. Each couple has an average of .45 children.

So let's see if I can get this math right.

4000 staffer. 36% are married. Since 15% of these marriages include a partner that is a dependent that means 38.7% of 4,000 or 1548 people are in 774 couples and at 1/4 the normal population rate that means 190 children. Now this will still be a bit high for such an environment. In a normal population a large number of these "children" will be grown. Very few parents would go hide underground while their children are above ground in a nuclear holocaust. I suspect that in such cases either the adult children were recruited, adults without adult children were recruited or the demographic was skewed to younger people, ones too young to have adult children.

So what is the total (OK, I know I screwed this word problem up, but I think I am at least close)

4000 staffer

108 married dependents
190 minor dependents (these can be evenly distributed in age from 1-18 years of age)
About 4300 total residents

So I will say
720 Couples apartments
150 Family Apartments

That leaves around 3200 or so people
I would suggest 1/2 are in doubles, 1/4 are in singles and 1/4 are in suites suitable for 4 people
so 800 doubles
400 singles
100 suites

This gives a total of 2170 apartments.

In the Original Module the maximum population was 448 staffers and up to 390 dependents. That is a lot of unproductive mouths to feed, but if that ratio is used 4000 staffers could have up to 3500 dependents.

I will need to draw out the cylinders to see if all these people can be crammed into three cylinders, with all the other stuff that should be in what amounts to a small town