View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
FYI if you are looking for some interesting aircraft for a scenario in the US keep in mind a couple of places

Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation - home based - Winston Salem NC

Both aircraft are fully operational

C-97G
C-54

National Warplane Museum - Geneseo, NY

Multiple aircraft, many of which are operational, including a C-45, a C-47, an Aeronca L-16 and a Ryan Navion.
There are a lot of oddball museums that have numerous flyable aircraft. In Red Hook, NY, there's the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, which has flyable aircraft including a Bleriot XI, repro Curtiss Model D, repro 1910 Hanriot, repro Albatros D.Va, repro Caudron G.III, Curtiss Jenny, repro Fokker D.VII, repro Fokker Dr.I, Curtiss Wright Junior CW-1, DeHavilland DH.82 Tiger Moth, New Standard D-25, and repro Ryan NYP (Spirit of St. Louis).

Down in Polk City, FL, Kermit Weeks' collection of aircraft at Fantasy of Flight includes one of two remaining high-wing Stinson Tri-Motors, a B-25J, and a Short Sunderland, all of which are generally in flying condition, as well as a bunch of fighters and a ton of spare parts (last time I was there, he had a dozen or so P-38 engines even though he doesn't own a P-38). I know this one has been mentioned in the past when discussing Central Florida.

Florida also has Valiant Air Command at the TiCo (Titusville-Cocoa) Airport. Right now, their flyable aircraft include a repro Dr.I, a C-47 Skytrain, a B-25J Mitchell, a Twin Mustang, and an OV-10D Bronco.

In Bealeton, VA, there's the Flying Circus Aerodrome, which has at least a half-dozen Stearmans, a couple Waco F trainers, four Piper Cubs, and some aerobatic planes. This might be a bit better for maintainability, since there's commonality of aircraft to allow cannibalizing.

Also in Virginia, but over on the coast at Virginia Beach, is the Military Aviation Museum, with a pair of Fokker D.VII, a bunch of other Fokkers, Halberstadt CL.IV, a repro ME-262, P-40, FG-1D Corsair, P-51D, Bf-109, Hurricane, the only airworthy MiG-3, Spitfire, Yak-3M, repro Fw 190A-8, original Fw 190A-8, the only remaining Polikarpov I-15bis, a 1939 Polikarpov I-16, and a Lend-Lease P-63 Kingcobra. For larger planes, there's a Tante Ju, a B-25, and a PBY Catalina. Almost everything is flyable.

The Air Heritage Museum of Beaver Falls, PA, started out by repairing a damaged B-17G and has a small collection of mostly airworthy planes, with the big ones being a C-123K and a C-47B. They also have a T-28, a T-34, a Cub, and a Funk B-75-L.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.