View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I agree, so much so that I'd be inclined to do exactly the same thing if I run another campaign.
Decades ago, when I was running some Merc:2000 games, I would have a senior NCO in charge of the group. The NCO was run by me so it was just another NPC but it meant I could gently direct the group (none of the players except me had even been in anything like the Scouts or Cadets let alone any sort of military service).

For T2k I'd probably let some players have some rank but it would be basically, "filling dead men's shoes". There aren't any fully qualified personnel available for promotion due to manpower losses in the war, so the the "least unqualified" gets the promotion. That way it's not so bad that the newly promoted NCO doesn't know as much as they should and you can work it in as part of their backstory.
Just out of curiosity what do you do for those who do have military experience?
For example my local group has three former NCO's, two more former senior NCO's, and one former officer. Now I do agree that the rest of the group who have never served do not really have any idea what it is like to have been in the military and most of them will even admit it.