View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Project_Sardonicus;74426]Food is an interesting one, it raises one big question.

How did the project cope with this?

1 Freeze dried rations to be made up with water. Water would not have been a big issue, project vehicles don't need fuel tanks so just convert it into a giant water tank. Freeze dried rations weigh about half as much and are far less bulky. Of course if a team member is separated from a vehicle without water becomes problematic.

My Response:

This idea has some merit. Freeze dried and tight seals give 25 years storage. This type of food is in my personal stash here at the house. I probably have enough for 3-4 months.

Problems, as I see them.

1) WATER!!! You MUST have access to clean water to prepare this type of food. This has been a major problem in many games I have been in. Per TM1-1 ver. 4.0, Pg. 164 each Morrow trooper has 6 liters of water storage. SO if you have a 6 member team, that is 36 liters of water. As I have read in TMP V 3.0 and v 4.0, these storage containers are empty on wake up. You have to find water NOW. Another problem with water is purifying it. Most games I have been in propose a bottle of 100 Iodine Tablets in each persons gear.

A second method of handling water is boiling. This is very effective but supposes access to fuel NOW. So out of the bolt hole you come. You have to find water and fuel NOW.

Another problem with water, the freeze dried food mentioned above. Each serving of Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with noodles needs roughly 200 ml of water. That means a liter of water can prepare five (5) meals.

The above example does NOT include how much water YOU need to live. You need about 2 liters a day. This will change based on weather, physical activity, etc.

SO our trooper with 6 liters of water has about two (2) days of water IF his/her storage containers are full.

2) Boredom. Each can of Mountain House Beef Stroganoff has 10 meals. The Mountain House company suggests that you use all 10 meals within 7 days of opening the can.

3) Storage. Each can weighs just over 1/2 Kilogram. For us silly Americans, about 1 lb. 4 oz.

4) Meal Prep. Each meal in the can needs about 200 ml of BOILING water.

5) Cleanup. You MUST clean your cooking pots and dishes at the end of the meal. More Boiling water.

In conclusion (Oh, thank God) Freeze dried can be done. I have created and/or planned around most of the objections in this note. It took a lot of planning and thought to get to that point.

My $0.02

Mike