Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker
Random thought (maybe more to follow.....it's late )

Any info on acorns?

Or fruit tree's and berries (wild and domestic)?

Also most of the info presented seams to presume a pre existing dedicated farm of one sort of another. What about more add hoc arrangements? Rural locations with a variable level of farm now how (personal veg gardens up 3/4 to almost an acre are not unknown were i live) and maybe more importantly a more variable level of relic equipment.

There would of course be ad hoc arrangements, however if you do not have basic knowledge of what your going to do, your project is going to suffer greatly. ("raided Hastings and found several books on gardening and back to land. Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living is great.")

Where do you get the seed? ("raided the garden center for all they had. Don't know what the heck celeric is but I guess it's edible. It was in vegetables at least. Got hand tools as well. You know they had this nifty cart with bicyle wheels. We just loaded it up. Spades, rakes, hoes, digging fork.. watering cans and buckets too.")

The land? ('We're digging up the back yard.. and there's a golf course down the road. They aren't playing there anymore and........")

Yes, there is larger gardens around the country, and as the war progressed up to fall, I would expect more gardens going in. Perhaps "Victory gardens". As for tools/implements, they are around as lawn orniments, sitting in the woodline rusting away, in museums, and yes in use on some operations. There are companies in the Midwest that build draft animal implements now for the Amish and others using draft horses. If you google you'll be surprised at the number of folks that have draft horses and oxen. Most are hobby interests, but some operate their farms with the animals, totally or in part.

That's a knowledge base as much as resource for animals, though as I said it takes upwards of four year from birth to get a viable working animal, ~five if you start at conception.

AND there is a workforce IF you can get organized, and not be eaten out of house and home before the first harvest.

Grae