Thread: T2K Lingua
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Mmmmmm... mixing Russian with Portuguese seems difficult!!!
Actually not that much. My mother is fluent in Portuguese and her ex-boyfriend was portuguese. When they crossed the path of some Russians speaking in the street they couldn't tell if these people were speaking Russian or Portuguese. Obviously, the Russians were equally puzzled.

Both languages are entirely different but, strangely, they sound in a similar manner.

For the french pronunciation that is quite easy in fact, speak as flat as possible with little if any intonation. I would say that the french language is one of the language using the less possible sounds. From what I know the number of sounds in french is ridiculously low (as I think it is the case for english) and that explains why the french are that bad at learning foreign language. At the opposite end you'll find languages like Portuguese, Russian, Arab... That's also why an Arab (saudi) can learn a foreign language simply by listening to it and, believe me, it is very impressive when a guy is suddenly starting to speak politics or phylosophy in your own language when he has simply been listening to you for about 2 months (not even full time).

Last edited by Mohoender; 12-19-2008 at 09:55 AM.