View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
It is a well done article, I do however disagree with you on this point. A pistol is a terrible home defense weapon, the only thing that it has going for it is that it is easy to carry and or move with, for home defense that does not really apply if you are not trained to move with a weapon odds are you will not do it right regardless of what you have. If you are staying put in a locked room as lots of police departments recommend now how easy it is to carry and/or move with makes no difference. Now the shotgun has most of the advantages that the rifle has and as most people know the sound alone is enough to scare most bad men away, plus it is much easier to hit with as you only need to be pointing in the general direction. Both of these are wrong and if you are depending on them may get you killed. My background I did 20 years in the Army, and a bit over 8 as a Federal Police officer (firearms instructor among other ting I did), our shotguns (bought in the 1960's) will put all of the shot in the face at 75ft. I have also had the opportunity to shoot different things, the shotgun penetrated the best (Slug) and the buckshot was about as good as the AR, we use .40 sidearms and they were the worst. The shotgun also has the most recoil now if you have a one shot stop that does not matter much, they do happen not much but does happen. What about if there are more than one bad guy? Multiple attackers are happening more and more, last stats I saw had home invasions on the rise, they do not have to worry about you coming home and surprising them. So my choice for a home defense weapon is my M4 with suppressor it is more accurate than the handgun, easier to shoot so I am more likely to hit. If I do miss the bullet has less chance to penetrate multiple walls as there is only one not nine every time I pull the trigger. A saying we have is you own the bullet from the time you fire it tell it comes to a stop and the average cost of a miss is about $1 mil. But the biggest reason I pick the AR is that with all the training I have with it, it has become an extension of my body. Every time I pull the shotgun out of the rack I have to look at it as I do not remember if left is safe or is right, and if the fecal matter hits the oscillating blade and I need more ammo that is much easier with a magazine feed weapon the a tube feed. So in closing I would say what is best for self-defense is what you are best able to use to keep you safe and not put undue danger on those around you.
A very good reply, sir. Very reasonable. I almost forget we’re on the Internet.

I must admit that my statement about sense and choosing the AR-15 for home defense is hyperbolic. Point taken on that one. (I’m using you guys as a beta test, so this feedback is very useful.)

That much said, you have a unique comfort with the AR-15 based on your experience. One wonders how many people who might use an AR-15, AK-47, FAL, etc for home defense share your level of training and experience. People who have it and are not well versed in its use indoors are a hazard to themselves and their neighbors. Many who think they are going to be stellar performers in CQB learn otherwise once the real thing comes along. Trigger control under stress requires drill. As you rightfully point out, you own every round that goes downrange. (I wish everyone in Iraq had remembered that.) Based on your observation about the best weapon for self-defense being that which one can use to keep oneself safe without undue danger to those around, I would say that the semi-auto detachable magazine-fed rifle is not the best choice for any but a select few.

I haven't executed CQB with a handgun, so I'm not able to comment on it. I'll readily agree that lack of proper training presents a problem for anyone attempting CQB. I will file your comments about utility for home defense away and think about them some more.

I deliberately left the shotgun out so far because it is so versatile. I think most people would agree with you that the shotgun is far superior to the handgun for almost all purposes. I haven’t gotten to the shotgun in my narrative because this type of weapon defies the easier categorization that marks the handgun v the bolt action rifle v the semi-auto rifle.

I have a tangential question: when the law enforcement types of the world started the switch away from the 9mm, why was the switch made to .40 caliber instead of the M1911? Time and time again I read that people in the know think the M1911 is the best all-around handgun available. Is there a rationale beyond politics and magazine capacity?