View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Just woundering where this comes from? In my experance I have seen people using M16A2 (three round burst) and if lucky hit with one round, and these are trained combat vets. The only exception that I have seen in macheine guns as they are built for that and also normlay fired from a mount of some type.
This rate of fire is a weapon's mechanical rate of fire over 1/2 to 6/10ths of a second. It provides a bit more variety than the game's standard ROFs. Any trained machinegunner (I did my training on the M60E2 in the 90's) or any competitive shooter will tell you that 1/2 second bursts are the most easily controlled form of automatic fire. Ironically, GDW worked on the same premise. The ROF of 5 for AKs is exactly a 1/2 second burst (at 600 rpm, an AK will fire 10 rounds per second). They did fudge rates of fire with other weapons though.

Rate of fire has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy is measured by a character's skill. The people you know were not qualified by the US Army. To qualify as an Expert Rifleman in the Infantry during my term of service, you had to hit all the pop ups with all the rounds in a triburst (even the 300 meter target). To qualify Expert with the M60E2, I had to hit a 600 meter target with 3 rounds of a 6 round burst (in 8 seconds or less).

This does bring up an interesting issue with most modern shooting games. The rates of fire are different than they would be in real life. In IDPA Matches (my current shooting sport), a Master level shooter will have 1/10th of a second "Split Times" (time between shots) equaling a ROF of 10 rounds a second. An Expert level shooter will have 1/4 second "Split Times" equaling 4 shots per second. Experienced shooters will have 1/2 second "Split Times" equaling 2 shots per second. and a Novice shooter will barely break a 1 second "Split Time." Your rate of fire should be tied to a combination of your shooting skill and reflexes. I guess you could do this by taking your RAW (non Asset) skill and dividing it by 2 (rounding down). You then take your AGL and divide it by 2 (rounding down). The lower of these two numbers is the number of shots/bursts you can fire instead of the default 5 (operating on the 1/2 a second ROF theory).

If GDW were using 1/2 a second as a base; Other rates could be changed to reflect real world fire rates.

Bolt Actions: "Long Throw" bolt actions like the 98K, and the M700 would need 2 seconds to throw the bolt. "Short Throw" bolt guns like the Lee-Enfield, the Mosin, and the Arisaka (look for straight or only slightly down-turned bolt handles for a short throw bolt) could be manipulated in 1 & 3/4 to 1 & 1/2 seconds per bolt throw. This could be reduced by high AGL or Skill levels.

Lever and Pump Actions: These are about equally fast. Just watch some videos on Youtube of the Single Action Society shoots to see how fast a lever gun can be. I can tell you from my 3 Gun shoots that an Novice "Pumpgunner" can average 1/2 a second "splits" and an Expert gunner can easily hit the quarter second mark between shots. I have seen ONE man who can average 1/10th of a second "splits" (timed electronicly). So the Twilight rates aren't all that accurate. These weapon's fire rates should be skill/AGL dependent too.

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-19-2015 at 05:28 PM.