View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 04:13 AM

Geddes slipped away, and between the undergrowth and rain he was able to move unseen back to his pack and tarp. Sheltering under his tarp and out of the rain, Geddes had to think. Where too now?

Mechanical clanking continued in the background as vehicle after vehicle rumbled by. Geddes took his time to outline his options in his head;
  • Travel back to the village?
  • Stay where he was?
  • Head deeper behind enemy lines?

Geddes began to de-camp. He would soon be out from under the projection of the tarp that was doing a great job keeping the increasingly heavy rain off of him, as he carried out last checks on his backpack. Too soon he would be out in the weather again, which despite his all-weather clothes, would soon become dismal and cold.

Holding on to the last corner of tarp, a sudden violent gust of wind whips it from out of his hands. Geddes turned to watch the tarp blow quickly towards the mechanized Russian column of tanks, APCs and IFVs!

Geddes ducked into the brush, as thwack, the tarp blew against a BTR-70. It might have gone unnoticed in the deteriorating conditions, but it partly wrapped over the driver or commanders viewing hatch. Either way, the BTR-70 stopped due to loosing visibility forward! A soldier popped their head out and starting to remove the tarp, seemed to slowly realise what the item might mean. He slowly turned and looked into the brush, and began scanning deeper into the forest for where such a man made item might have suddenly come from.

Crouching still, Geddes had an important decision to make. Remain stationary and hope he isnt seen? Or quickly haul ass out of there?

The decision is effectively made for him. As the rear ramp thumps down, and 6 armed soldiers disembark. There is no real sign of urgency, but clearly they are going to conduct some form of quick check.

Geddes turns and runs. Speed away from contact being more important that stealth.

One of my favourite games growing up was James Bond 007 by Victory Games (1983). My cousin and I played this the most, which may add to why I think its such a great game. Plus our ages at the time. But I have always thought the game system was one of the better ones I have seen. A roll of the dice determines if you were successful or not and depending on how low the roll was, the quality of that success. Skill levels, Ease Factors and Performance Modifiers. It really was a great system.

Something that I distinctly remember being the best I had seen, was the chase mechanics it used. It handled chase scenes, actions and range really well. I intend to use a modified version of the chase rules for the upcoming pursuit of Geddes through the Jungle.

I’ll determine starting range (close, short, medium, long, extreme, extreme +1 for example) and then roll mobility checks. Each success shortens or increases the range. If Geddes gets a success and the soldiers get a success, then the range remains the same for instance. If Geddes gets 2 successes and the soldiers fail there roll, then Geddes moves 2 ranges clear. Once Extreme +1 or more is reached at the end of a round then the chase is over. And the soldiers will need to track Geddes. Or if the range is reduced to close, then the chasing soldier can enter HtH with Geddes (tackle).