Thread: Sigma Base
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 08:59 AM

Sorry that I have been quiet on Sigma Base lately. Managed to get my greedy paws on copies of three geological surveys of my anticipated location. Nothing like obscure 600+ pages of scientific research!

This portion of northwest Missouri is comprised of mostly limestone and shale. There are mentions of numerous small caves with minor tunnel networks. The largest appears to be four caverns interconnected with tunnels and ranging about 0.75---2 kilometers in length and covering an area of roughly 4 hectares.

What is interesting are several comments on areas of shale that are described as "badly decayed", "rotting", and "crumbling". Which suggests areas that may be easier to tunnel. This leaves the question of shoring up any digging operations to insure that local seismic activity does not collapse all of the work. (The proposed site is on the outskirts of the New Madrid Seismic Zone.)

This, of course, leaves several options for a demented PD....