View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
I think that you get the soviet supply line wrong. Of course the main supply bases are Vladivostok and Komsomolsk-na-Amure but you forget about Magadan.
Okay, sure. Magadan is a fairly big city (90K inhabitants or so) on the coast of the Sea of Okhotsk, and it has road links into central Yakustk area for exploitation of minerals, but it's got little in the way of military production. It's isolated from the rest of the USSR except by sea and air links. It's an island of civilization in the wilderness.

Quote:
In addition, the entire Kamchatka and most of the soviet area near Alaska was a military zone at the time, possibly allowing them an alternate supply line to start the invasion.
Weapons and supplies could be stockpiled there, but there is no military production facilities out there. There are no machine parts plants, no rail connections, no ammunition plants. The area couldn't support a military effort, but yes, there could be stockpiled supplies. In fact I think it might be amusing if the stockpiled supplies were left over from the 1950s or even earlier. That way some of the troops in the Mobilization Only divisions show up in Alaska are armed with T-34s, PPSh-41s, and maybe a Sturmovik or two.

Quote:
Yes the invasion is conducted by third line units but it is spearheaded by a small elite force of arctic and naval units, perfectly suited for the job.
I suppose that holds up, and its not the elite forces that defect, surrender or turn marauder. But if I ditch the Sino-Soviet war I can add some well-equipped Catagory I MRDs into the mix. Or maybe an extra Air-Mobile or Naval Infantry Brigade?

Quote:
The soviets might have had prewar plans to invade Alaska.
I'm positive that they did. I mean, otherwise someone at the Red Army is totally slacking off. At some point wasn't there some plan of Stalin's in the late '40s or early '50s to invade across the Bering Sea? Something like 1/2 million men were supposed to be stationed in the Chukotski Peninsula? A plan like that sounds miserable for the men and bit naive of Stalin. Maybe their rusty old supplies, still left in storage from the Korean War era, are scrounged up and used for the Twilight War invasion?

Quote:
Of course, I agree with what you say about the navy but IMO the russians are using mostly large air cushion vehicles and if these operate under winter condition they simply cannot be intercepted by the US Navy.
Well, sure... if they are on the land or over ice, the US Navy cannot intercept... but at sea? Sure hovercraft are faster than most warships, but even one Coast Guard cutter with a 76mm deck guns would cause serious havoc if it encountered the invasion force. Not only that but hovercraft have the reputation of being easy to spot from the air. US military aviation would tear them to pieces unless the Soviets had a credible air cap... which is a whole other problem for the Aleutian Front.

Quote:
Another point comes from the fact that the allies underestimate the soviets. The attack is entirely unexpected and probably considered impossible: too few units are deployed to meet that threat. In addtion, they arrive late.
I agree completely that the US is vulnerable to this sort of error. Gee, it's not like we didn't do it in 1941 and 2001.

Quote:
At last, I don't consider that the soviet were concerned with long term supply. This attack is to succeed or fail and the units would have to survive mostly on supplies found in the conquered area most like the Rundstedt offensive in the Ardennes (1944). Their only concern would be ammunitions.
I can imagine some Soviet planners (safe in a bunker under the Urals somewhere) deciding that the supply problems can be relieved by "local requisition." The reality is that the Soviet units would just about have to pick a place clean to keep moving, much like Sherman's army through Georgia in 1864... or more like a horde of army ants.

And considering how "gentle" the Red Army is at the best of times, I can't imagine their "inventory and requisition" activities among the Alaskan and Canadian locals are going to win them any friends. In fact, if I move the invasion back to the winter of 1997-1998, then much of the fuel and food the commandeer is going to result in locals starving and freezing during the winter. That's going to breed some very bitter, determined partisans... and when you consider how well armed Alaska is as a state... the Mujahedeen won't have nothing on Alaska's Sourdoughs.

So, do you have any other suggestions as to how the invasion's plausibility can be raised?

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing