View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Project Hiding Places

Cockburn Island (Wikipedia)

While looking for a location for Damocles I discovered this potential gem of a secret hiding place for the project. It is a Canadian Island (Ontario) located in Lake Huron, though it is physically closer to the US than Canada.

With an area of 64 square miles (167.60 sq km), a permanent population of only 10, a 3000 foot (914 m) runway, and a location almost in the geographic center of the Great Lakes it seems like a perfect location so some sort of project asset.

Given the local geology I am assuming it mostly dolomitic limestone and is almost fully covered with medium density forests. This has led to long term logging projects and the fact that over 90% of the island is now owned by an American logging concern. The remainder being held for a small unpopulated Indian reservation and about 90 summer homes.

Given I have not been able to find a good map I have produced the one below. Topographic lines represent a 50 foot increase in elevation. The highest point appears to be about 400 feet above lake level. Solid brown lines are gravel roads, broken lines are trails or paths. The red lines represent the airport.

If anyone has any other interesting potential project locations please post them.