View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Not to stir the now-cooled pot but... my version of the Morrow Project has nothing to do with the United States or the Constitution. I don't own all the books, only the main one, but I'm not interested in a game about rebuilding the United States of America. I'm running a game where the salvation of humankind is the number one motive.

I don't think Morrow was nice or mean. He was a survivalist. He simply wanted the human race to survive.

For the game I'm working on, I've been putting together the guidelines for the Morrow Project. One of the things that has always struck me as very interesting from a gaming point of view is the amount the MP stresses on individual decision-making. Sure the MP has a structure and a goal but the usual PC group is Recon and all the canon and fanon I've read is about how they're chosen to be independent, assertive and screened to be able to make decisions on their own.

This is a WIP but here are two of the tenets laid out:

Quote:
Responsibility
All of us accept the mantle, the duty, of being responsible for the preservation of human society. This responsibility must remain with us as we take our first of many new steps on the face of Earth. We will be beset by conflict, war, deprivation, cruelties and moral quandaries in many forms. None of these must be allowed to interfere with our core responsibility. It is in our darkest days, throughout human history, that society has allowed itself to go astray due to the failure of someone to see their responsibilities through to the end. It is also true that, in those dark days, a single force for good can show the world that…INSERT MORE

This responsibility must be upheld each and every day. The
1. The preservation of mankind must be our foremost responsibility.

Neutrality
The Morrow Project, within certain exceptions, does not make value judgments on the structure of human civilization. We are non-partisan, non-religious and exist only to serve the people of Earth. As such, the condemnation of communities based upon personal beliefs is not acceptable. The acceptance of outright injustice must be met with a firm hand but it is not our place to dictate the hows and whys of a new civilization. Almost all variations of community must be accepted for us to truly be of use to the future people of North America. We can not expect that individuals will embrace the past structure of governance that is familiar to us. History has shown time and again how systems of governance have arisen in response to the demands of the environment, the times and the people. These systems of government may have failed in time or succeeded for centuries. It does not matter. What we must all take to heart is that mankind will adapt and create in accordance with its needs. The establishment of communities is an experiment of human innovation and cooperation. It is one that we must protect and nurture for it to be successful.

1. Involuntary slavery is not acceptable. This does not require overt or violent action but must be the result of our interactions with communities. We recommend the use of advanced knowledge and services to pressure the community into abandoning this practice. As slavery, if encountered, will be a relatively new phenomenon in North America it should not be an insurmountable task.

2. Religion, spirituality and faith is a personal decision and one that the Project honors in others. The existence of new, unfamiliar or strange religions and cults is almost a certainty in the new world. Project personnel shall not evangelize their own beliefs, restrict the beliefs of others, or publicly participate in faith practices. Publicly, we must remain above the entanglements that faith and religion have caused in the past.

Integrity

1. At all times, we must ensure that the Morrow Project is seen as a beacon.
The purpose of this approach is three-fold:

1) It removes the need for political discourse like this.
2) It places the burden of making right/wrong decisions solely on the Team.
3) It provides far more opportunity for the Team to have deal with, bargain with and possibly ally with factions that may not be of similar mind. By keeping the overall goal in mind, the Team must act to ensure that mankind survives and this provides far more adventure fodder than the Liberty Brigade of the USA.

IMO.