View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM

Hello people, I'll use an older type of FWD (jeep, land rover, toyota or russian). You know? the simple type that you can make run with your belt. As I already said I'll choose a diesel if possible that I can make run with no gasoline.

Hummers are nice looking but as soon as you hit a mountain range with no wide road they make me laugh like crazy. . With the most modern type of civilian FWD (whatever the brand), you'll quickly end up with a nice christmas tree that doesn't go anywhere as soon as the electronic is failing (and that will be soon). That is if it starts at all of course. If you haven't seen it, you should watch the french movie "le Salaire de la Peur", an old movie from 1953.

I used to spent a lot of time off road in Portugal. Therefore, if someone owns an UMM Alter around, I'll be glad to steal that. May be the best jeep on earth (the most uncomfortable also). I would also love to be Swedish as they have access to Pinzgauers, or German: Unimogs. If I'm stuck in France, I'll go for the old Citroën 2CV, one of its derivative or an older Peugeot: almost immortals (A good hammer and you make it work).

About the 2CV my father found one in the last house he bought, 15 years ago. It was a 1952 model that had not ran for at least 20 years, forgotten under a wood pile. It was still running with a top speed of 30 miles/h, but running, and it still does (never went to a mechanic as it was fixed by the farmer next door).