Thread: Gun Trucks
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Talking

I have issue #55 of Challenge magazine, which has an article on guntrucks in T2K. Actually, it is not really an article, but three vehicle plates by Keith Potter

I. M35 2.5 Ton Gun Truck. An armored 2.5 ton truck with a NHT mounted to fire over the cab, and two NMT, one on each side. The cargo-bed must be half empty and gunners are exposed to return fire.

II. M54 5 Ton Gun Truck. In Vietnam it was found that the M113 hull would fit on the bed of an M54 truck. This is a stripped M113 and an ARV (or equivilent) is needed.

III.M54 5 Ton Gun Truck M901 Version. An armored M54 with a M901 in the bed. Used in an anti-tank role with 10 TOW missles. (Good luck with that)

Not much is given to indicate how common these trucks would be, but it is noted that each is usually one-of-a-kind. I see these to be pretty common as long as ammo and fuel stocks hold up.

I also notice that several units in the U.S. lost most or all of thier transport. I imagine these units would modify whatever civilian vehicles they could into 'technicals'. I think these units have at least some MG's, with ammo being the main limitation, but just because these units were forced to fall back and re-group does not mean they never re-supplied ammo. This leaves the GM open to allow whatever fits his campaign.