View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 AM

Default Attack this state,You be the General!!

Hey everyone I have posted about starting a campaign that is based on exactly where I am currently living (Burlington VT) I idea for the campaign involves invasion of the U.S. by Canadian troops.

But I have some questions:

What are important objectives in modern warfare? I know that in modern war capturing land of no importance. Obviously military bases, power plants and things of that nature perhaps but what to do about population centers? I assume because VT is the first tear of states that it would have to attack. The attack would be swift and devastating and push southward and onto more valuable states. But they would have to subdue everyone so that they wouldn't have resistance from behind.

Here is some information about the Area. Burlington is VT's largest city by population 38,889 people (as of the year 2000 census) surrounding towns Essex 18,626, Colchester 16,986 Willinger 7,650 Shelburne 6,944, Winooski 6,561,. All touching Burlington, this is the most densely populated area in the entire state. Also the towns western border is Lake Champlain which borders 50% of the states entire length from north to south! Also Burlington is not even 50 miles directly south of the Canadian Border. I think it would be a definite objective of a modern military as it has two military sites nearby Camp Johnson which is an active base and training center in Colchester, And there is the Underhill Artillery range nearby in Underhill. More importantly VT Air National Guard fly's out of Burlington International Airport.

I think Burlington would be attacked first before Montpelier, despite the fact that its the capitol. It only has a population of 8,035! But its only 40 Miles south east of Burlington.

So basically I want to know how a modern military would attack the small state of Vermont from the north? What they would attack? What you think they would do? Ignore nukes and think totally conventionally for now. I picture sort of a blitzkrieg kind of move like the invasion of Poland but given modern tactics there maybe a more realistic tactical plan.

The next largest city is further south Rutland 17,292 and its nearer to the middle of the state only 66 miles south of Montpelier. I think Burlington, Montpelier and Rutland would be the MaJor city objectives.

At the bottom of the state are only a few larger towns by population, Bennington15,737, and Brattleboro 12,005 and they are 50 miles to the direct south of Rutland and are at the edge of the states southern border.

here is a map to give you a better idea of the lay of the Land.

http://renaissanceguy.files.wordpres...ap-vermont.jpg

Give me some Ideas because I need the Canadian military to act in a realistic way as one of my players is an ex-marine. And I can't have a modern 1st world military do anything dumb in a place that they should easily take over.

So tell me how what why where to Attack this state!

Brother in Arms