View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Getting ready to return the favor:

335th TFS Operations, 1235 Hours:

Major Matt Wiser and the rest of Corvette Flight were in their old classroom, eating and waiting on the Squadron Intelligence Officer to come in and debrief them on their mission. “That was a wild one,” the Major said, in between bites of a hot turkey sandwich.

'You said it,” Kara said. “Been a while since we had a fight near our base.” She was attacking a Ham sandwich herself. “But MiGs in the sky and you don't turn me loose?”

“Patience,” Guru said. “Besides, Sweaty,” he nodded at his second element leader, “had the advantage and was closer.”

Sweaty grinned. “That I did,” she noted.

Then there was a knock on the door. “Show yourself and come on in!” Major Wiser said.

Major Dave Golen, their IDF “Observer” and 1st Lt. Sandi Jenkins came in, followed by 1st Lt. Darren Licon, the Intelligence Officer. “Guru,” Golen said.

“Dave,” Guru said, shaking his hand. “Thanks a bunch for those two MiG-23s.”

“Anytime,” Golen said. “Darren,” he indicated the intel officer, 'wants to debrief the fight together.”

“Go ahead,” Guru told Licon.

“Okay, Major,” Licon said, unfolding a TPC map and pulling out some reconnaissance photos. “How'd your strike go?”

Guru showed the ingress route on both the map and the photos. “When we got to the IP, we pulled, the Weasels went to work, and Kara called 'target in sight.' Then I had it, and went in hot.”

“What'd you hit?” The intel asked. As usual, he was taking notes.

The CO pointed to where a couple of Hind helicopters could be seen on one of the photos. “Had the pipper between the helos, and released. Then I made the egress turn and got out of there.”

“See the results?” Licon asked.

“Got a couple of secondaries,” Guru's WSO, 1st Lt. Lisa “Goalie” Eichhorn, said.

The intel nodded. “Captain Thrace?” He asked Kara.

Kara showed her route, “I put my bombs on a fuel truck parked between two Hinds,” she pointed to a spot on the photo.

“Results?” Licon asked.

“Got a big fireball,” 1st Lt. Judd “Brainiac” Brewster, Kara's WSO, said. “And a couple smaller ones.”

“Then we headed out,” Kara added.

“Thanks,” Licon said. “Sweaty?”

“Found a cluster of tents and command vehicles,” Sweaty said. She indicated the area on the photo. “Had to be a squadron command post at least.”

“Secondaries?” Licon asked.

Preacher Simmonds, Sweaty's GIB, said, “Couldn't tell, but there were explosions all around those guys.”

“All right,” Licon said. “Hoser? Last, but not least.”

“Put my bombs here,” Hoser West pointed to a spot on the photo. “There was a Hip, a couple of fuel trucks, and some fuel bladders.”

“He must've just delivered those,” Guru said. “His rotors turning?”

“Couldn't tell,” Hoser said. “Dropped my bombs and made the turn.”

“Secondaries?” Licon asked.

“A couple big ones,” KT Thornton, who was Hoser's WSO, said. “I've seen fuel go up, and they looked just like those.”

“Okay...” Licon said. “What happened with the air-to-air fight?”

Major Wiser showed the egress on the TPC chart. “Came up from the lake,” indicating Lavon Lake on the map, and climbed to altitude. Just then, Tower comes up and says they're under attack and stay away.”

“How long did you guys orbit, Major?” Licon asked.

“Maybe ten minutes,” Guru replied. “Saw two flights, I don't know who they were, head for a tanker, while a Marine Skyhawk flight headed to Altus.”

'A couple of SAMs came up, and two planes went down,” Kara added.

Sweaty nodded. “And while that's going on, There's a fight going on above us to the northwest, and saw a couple planes going down, and a couple of chutes”

“Then she saw the Su-17s,” Hoser said.

“What happened?” Licon asked.

“I saw the Fitters, then called them to lead, and he cleared me to press in.” Sweaty said.

“I did,” Guru added, “And both me and Kara went into a cover position, and tried to pick up the Fitters on radar.”

“No joy on that,” said Goalie. “Too much ground clutter.”

Brainiac nodded. “I'll go along with that. No way could we pick those things out.”

“Then it got interesting,” Kara added. “Then we hear Dave's voice on the radio, calling on us to break.”

Dave Golen then picked things up. 'I saw Guru and Kara break. He went high and right, while Kara went low and to the left.”

“We did,” Guru said. “As I broke, I saw two missile trails, then two more, fly by, and then two MiG-23s coming down.”

“I'd like to know where the AWACS was,” Kara said. “Those guys were definitely not on the ball today.”

“The fight you saw off in the distance?” Licon asked. “Ivan sent a whole regiment of MiG-23s after the AWACS. They didn't get him, but he had to shut down and head north while the F-15s and -16s took on the MiGs. He's back on station.”

“So the Floggers who jumped us might have been part of that?” Goalie asked.

“Probably,” Licon said. “Major Golen?”

“I went after the lead MiG, and drew lead on him. Three hundred meters, maybe three hundred and fifty yards, I shot him with the gun. He rolled inverted, then was on fire as he went down. No parachute.”

“Went after the wingman,” Sandi Jenkins added. “Got Sidewinder lock and fired two missiles. One missed to the left, and he turned to the right. Big mistake, because the second missile flew up his tailpipe and his tail blew up. Came in close, and saw the canopy come off, the seat fire, but...”

“But what?” Licon asked.

“He didn't get seat separation,” Sandi replied. “His chute never deployed, and he fell like a rock.”

When the other aircrews heard that, they winced. That could easily have been one of them whose seat failed to work, and as was the case, “The fall didn't kill you, it was the sudden stop at the end that did.”

“Ouch!” Kara said.

“Big ouch,” Guru commented.

“That it is, Major,” Licon said. “Sweaty?”

“Got in behind my Fitter,” she said. “Had good tone and fired a Sidewinder. It flew up his tailpipe and blew up. His whole rear from the wings aft is on fire, then he just blew up in midair.”

“Any chute?”

“No.” Sweaty replied. “Then I went to give Hoser some cover.”

“Thanks, Sweaty,” Licon said. “Hoser?”

“Went after the wingman,” Hoser said. “Caught up with him over Lake Arrowhead and fired a Sidewinder. Took his tail off, and he spun in.”

“He bail out?”

Hoser nodded. 'That he did, and he had a chute. The guy landed in the lake. Saw some CH-47s there, and the Army might have picked him up.”

“I'll check with the ALO office at III Corps and find out,” Licon said. “Okay...since there are witnesses to all these? Sweaty and Preacher? You two have six now.”

Hearing that, Sweaty and Preacher shook hands. “Six....”

“Yep,” Licon said. “Hoser and KT? That's your first. Congratulations.”

“I'll add to that,” Guru said. “You may not be aces yet, but you have to start sometime.”

“Thanks, guys,” Hoser said, while KT was smiling.

“Major Golen?” Licon asked. “That's four for you.”

Hearing that, Golen smiled. “Thank you,”

“Dave,” Guru said. “Not bad for being an 'observer'.”

“The Boss is right,” Kara added. “One more and you're a Phantom ace.”

Guru nodded. “He will be,” the CO said. “Still going to extend your tour?”

Golen nodded again. “Of course!”

“Okay, Dave, but be careful of what you wish for, because you might just get it,” Major Wiser reminded him.

“And Sandi?” Licon said. “That's two for you. And your first fast-mover.”

“Off to a fast start,” Sweaty said. “A Hip yesterday,and a MiG today.”

Kara grinned. “A few days like this and she will be an ace. How's that, Major?”

The CO smiled. “If that happens, it'll be well deserved.” He looked at Dave and Sandi and their respective WSOs. “You guys eat yet?”

“Not yet, Guru,” Golen replied.

“Okay, get something to eat and then talk with Ops. Everyone's got two more today.”

“Will do,” Golen said. Then he, Sandi, and their GIBs headed off to get their lunch.

“Why two more?” KT asked.

“This storm coming in tonight,” Guru reminded them. “We won't be flying for at least a day.”

Heads nodded at that. “Bad thing about that,” Kara said. “Our guys won't get the air support they need.”

“Nothing we can do about that,” Guru said. “But there's three good things.”

“What are those?” Hoser asked.

“Simple,” the CO nodded. “First, and most important. Their guys won't be getting their air support. Two, maintenance can get caught up. And three? We can get caught up on two things. In no particular order.”

“Yeah,” Goalie said. “Sleep and paperwork.”

“Speaking of which, I need to check my desk,” Guru said. “Then I'll check with Ops and see what they have for us.” He left the briefing room and went to his office. There was nothing there that required his attention, he was pleased to see, then the CO went to the Ops desk. There, he found Capt. Don Van Loan, the Ops Officer, going over some mission packets. “Don, what have you got?”

“Got one that just came down, Boss,” Van Loan said. “Stephenville Municipal Airport,” he nodded as he gave the CO a folder. “They think it's where the Fitters who raided us came from.”

Major Wiser looked at his Ops Officer. “They think?” He remembered the intel community's motto: “We're betting your life.”

“That's all we've got. Ivan's extended the runway at the airport, and it's certainly capable of supporting fast-mover operations,” Van Loan replied. “Here's the defenses.” He handed the CO an intel sheet.

Guru scanned it, then gave his Ops Officer a nasty look. “Army HQ in the town? Thanks a heap.”
From experience, the CO knew that there would be a considerable air defense threat.

“I know, but the recommended ingress route takes you along the boundary between the East Germans and the Nicaraguans Come back out the same way, or over the Nicaraguans, because they're not as well equipped for air defense as the Soviets, Cubans, or East Germans are. And you're getting Weasels.”

“Still one lucky guy can get lucky,” Guru reminded his Ops Officer. He scanned the material one more time. “Okay, thanks, Don.” Guru headed back to the briefing room.

“So, Boss, what have we got?” Kara asked as the CO came in.

“The chumps who bombed us?” Guru asked. “We're returning the favor. Stephenville Municipal is where we're headed.”

“Where's that?” Hoser asked. “Uh, Boss?”

“Sixty-five miles southwest of Fort Worth,” Guru said. “Or 132 miles south of us, take your pick. And hold onto your hats. It's right near the boundary of the East Germans and the Nicaraguans.”

Goalie looked at her pilot and CO. “That's just great. The Nicaraguans are likely asleep at the switch, while the East Germans are hyper-alert.”

The CO nodded. “You're likely right on that. Okay, we're going in along their boundary, which is roughly U.S. 281. We bypass the town of Stephenville, then turn around and make our run south to north. One pass as usual, people!”

“What's the ordnance load?” Sweaty asked.

“Lead element, that's me with Kara,” Guru said, seeing Starbuck raise her head. “Twelve Rockeyes. We go for the ramp area west of the runway. Sweaty, you and Hoser? Twelve Mark-82s. You, Sweaty, get the runway. Hoser? Take the fuel dump on the east side of the runway.”

“Got you,” Sweaty said, while Hoser nodded.

“Threats? Kara asked.

“Good question. “We're getting Weasels, Michelob Two-one and Two-two. Expect East German SA-4s, plus 57-mm and 23-mm AAA near the airport. There's also an SA-2 site,” said the CO.

“Intel's full of good news today,” Goalie said.

“Hold onto your hats. The reason for the SA-4s? Stephenville's the Army-level HQ for the East Germans. Throw in MANPADS, and probably plenty of small-arms fire,” Guru reminded them.

“Lovely,” KT said. “And getting out?”

“Over the Nicaraguans,” Guru said. “They're not as well equipped for air defense like the East Germans are, let alone the Russians. And we're coming out from the south, and seeing us might be the last thing they expect.”

Kara nodded. “Sounds good, Boss. MiG fields?”

“Nearest MiG fields are the old Connelly AFB near Waco, Cleburne Municipal, Brownwood Municipal, and Gray AAF at Fort Hood,” Major Wiser said. “Su-27s reported still at Connelly, but unconfirmed still. MiG-29s are at Gray AAF. Air to air ordnance for us is still the same: Four AIM-9Ps, two AIM-7Es, two wing tanks, full load of 20-mm, and an ECM pod.”

“By the time they react, we should be gone,” Sweaty pointed out.

“Should,” Guru reminded her. “Unless there's a CAP. Okay...bailout areas?” He saw he had his flight's rapt attention then. “Anyplace away from the roads. This is rural Texas, people, and the bad guys are reluctant to go most places away from a road. Just hole up and the Jolly Greens will come for you at night.”

Heads nodded at that. So far, no one in the flight had been shot down, but the knowledge that the Jolly Green rescue choppers with their Pararescuemen would come to get them was a big shot in the arm.

“Tankers?” Kara asked. Though this wasn't a long-range strike, unlike their missions from Arizona into New Mexico and Texas, one did burn a lot of fuel going in low and fast, and having a tanker handy was a good thing for any pilot.

“Same as before,” Guru said. “Tanker Track EXXON is over Mineral Wells.”

“Nice to know,” Hoser said.

“It is,” Guru replied. “Weather's fair to good, and that will change tonight. Which is why we're on this maximum effort last couple of days. Any other questions?”

Goalie asked, “One more after this one?”

“One more,” the CO nodded. “Anything else?” Heads shook no. “Okay,” Guru clapped his hands. “Gear up and let's go.”

The crews went to the locker rooms and geared up. Which meant survival vests, sidearms, G-Suits and helmets. On the way out, they ran across a despised figure. “Hi, Frank,” Kara said. “So you got out of your Dress Blues.”

“Someone had to uphold some Air Force Standards,” Carson fumed.

“Well, Frank,” Guru said. “When a Two-star general shows up at that service in BDUs, and half of the aircrew there are fresh out of the cockpit, and in their flight gear, that should tell you enough. Though I doubt it penetrated that thick Blue Blood skull of yours. Come on, guys,” the CO said. “We got an airfield to tear up.”

They left the building, leaving Carson in their wake, and headed for the dispersal area. When they got to 512's revetment, Kara asked Guru, “He ever gonna change?”

“I doubt it,” Guru said. “But I have to give him time. Now, to business. When talking between ourselves? Call signs. Mission code to everybody else.”

Heads nodded. “Let's get it done,” Sweaty said.

“Let's do,” Guru said. “Anything else?” Heads shook no. “Okay, time to hit it.”

The crews broke up and headed to their aircraft. Guru and Goalie went to 512, “their” F-4, and found the Crew Chief, Staff Sergeant Crowley, waiting. “Major,” Crowley said, saluting.

“Sergeant,” Guru said, and both he and Goalie returned the salute. “Got 512 ready?”

“She's ready to go, sir,” Crowley said.

Guru nodded as he and Goalie went about their preflight walk-around. They then mounted the aircraft and strapped in. After going through a quick cockpit check, Guru saw Sergeant Crowley give the “Start engines” signal. First one, then two J-79 engines started up, and they were soon up and running. Guru called the tower. “Sheppard Tower, Corvette One-one with four, requesting taxi and takeoff instructions.”

“Corvette One-one, Tower,” the tower replied. “Clear to taxi to Runway Three-three Lima. Hold prior to the runway.”

“Roger, Tower.” Guru replied. He gave Crowley the thumbs-up, and Crowley returned it. The other ground crew pulled the wheel chocks away, and Crowley signaled Guru to taxi. When the F-4 cleared the revetment, Crowley snapped a salute, and both Guru and Goalie returned it. Guru taxied 512 to the runway, and the other three aircraft were behind him. When they got to the runway, they held so that the armorers could remove the weapon safeties. After that, they received clearance to taxi onto the runway. After a quick final check in the cockpit, Guru called again. “Tower, Corvette One-one requesting clear for takeoff.”

The tower flashed a green light in response. Clear for takeoff.

Guru didn't reply. His canopy came down, as did Goalie's. Then he applied full power, released the brakes, and 512 rolled down the runway and into the air, with Kara's bird, 520, right behind him. Then, it was Sweaty and Hoser's turn, and once they were in the air, the flight set course south.

Old USMC Adage