View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Snails (cargol) is a very appreciated food here in Catalonia. The grandmother of my wife, an outstanding cook, is the family expert in this matter. I've eaten snails in two or three occasions and I must recognize that I do not feel the same passion than seems to feel some of my companion of table before this typical dish. I think that the most difficult and important thing is the correct cleaning of the snails.

The procedure implies left the snails fasting for a week, with the purpose to force them to eliminate all the impurities. Take into account that snails are not bought, but caught in some familiar expedition after a rainy day (my favourite part). So, the snails could have been eaten plants not recommended for human consumption. A safer method implies catching the snail and feeding them for a week with known vegetables before beginning the fasting process.

Then, the snails are put in cold water with salt and vinegar, to force them to purge all the slime. The process is repeated as times as needed until all the slime is eliminated.

The flesh of the snail is somewhat insipid, and the final result depends of each own recipe, that normally implies the boiling of the snails (with their shells).

Name:  cargols_guisats.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  95.6 KB