View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Raellus,

Just a few comments that may not be quite publicly available base on my knowledge of the USAF and deployment plans in the late 80s.

51st at Osan had one F-16C squadrons assigned (36th). May have had a second F-16 squadron Their was a detachment of 6-8 F-15C always deployed from Japan. There was a ANG F-16C squadron that was supposed to augment the 51st if war broke out. Planning was pretty much set to evacuate the wing south to use an auxiliary airfield that are all over the highway system.

F-4E 479th at Taegu was subordinate unit.

A-10 squadron (25th FS) presently assigned was actually located at Suwon.

Airbases heavily defended by multiple Vulcan PIVD towed trailer in revetments. Probably 15-30 along the flightline manned by ROK. Two Patriot batteries were installed in 90s for Osan. I think Taegu still had HAWKS.

At least one F-15C squadron and Marine F-18A/C units were slated to bed down.

8th Fighter Wing had two F-16C squadrons assigned (35th and 80th). A third ANG F-16C squadron was supposed to deploy. F-111s and F-117s were supposed to deploy. F-4E wing from Philippines was also to arrive (nuclear mission). I was convinced we would get UK Tornados and Australian F-18s and F-111s.
ROK 111th FS operated F-5As (converted to F-16C).

Airbase heavily defended by multiple Vulcan PIVD towed trailer in revetments. Probably 15-30 along the flightline manned by ROK. HAWK battery and I think a ROK operated NIKE HERCULES battery nearby. Two battalions of ROK infantry defended the perimeter. While I was there, a NK commando team was spotted at the seawall and shotup. At least two blood trails were found and part of a rubber suit recovered.

PM me if want to discuss further.