Thread: POW Camps
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Army
Here is a list I composed of possible NATO POW Camps.
Do like the list, but as Web points out I think it is too short. I will say I KNOW of two of those camps first hand.. Grafton is about 20 miles as crow flies from where I grew up. Devils Lake (the lake) would bound it on at least two sides at that period, but three now in '09 and half underwater from the lake rise in the past 15 years.

I was in 191 Co (Guard) of the NDANG at Grafton (actually unit was out of Mayville/Hillsboro). We went to ARTEP for summer camp at Ripley the year I was with them. Funny as one of our war time tasks was guarding EPW camps. And there is/was a camp set up at Ripley then. Only one section was acutally wired, and there needed to be some more work done at the location, BUT it would be put into service in maybe two weeks with hard work and an engineer battalion. The towers were there as well as the admin building.

One of our 'tasks' at the ARTEP was make plans for camp security, both internal and external. It was a good unit, too bad they reorganized to a water purification unit. We had guys from three states in the unit and guys that FLEW to drills just to be in the unit. (this was 1977-78 BTW)