View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Some really interesting ideas there, particularly the point about Saxon and other variants. I believe the number sold to Ukraine have actually been really well received (being used in an appropriate role) and have performed much better than expected - if I recall the article about it correctly Sir Richard Dannet considered selling what was seen by the British army as an appalling vehicle to a friendly power as morally wrong - but as said, they've performed much better than expected.

I had been thinking about cadet armouries earlier as well. I believe they were reasonably recently re-equipped with semi-auto SA80s, replacing the bolt action versions they had previously, but I'm not certain what they'd have had earlier (possibly SMLEs?)

It's a pain it's so (understandably) hard to find info about stockpiles/mothballed equipment - even historical, but I'll keep looking.
I believe that after the adoption of the L85 by the military, some cadet units had L1A1 SLRs while others still had SMLEs but my info is anecdotal, coming from a bloke I used to know who was British.