View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Being when I was in, the M60 still was in inventory. The M240s were with Mechanized/Armor units due to being the co-axis gun on the Tanks/APC/IFV/CFVs roaming around in the US Army, but the ground element in those unit usually lugged the M60.

The M60, much like the early M16s suffered from number of issue that were due to training. And again, both weapon with such low tolerance it shows when compared with AK/PK family.

Since we are dealing with GPMG for multi roles. I still have a fond spot for the M60, but it wouldn't matter all were good systems. The two things I would have to look at, is how the gun was to be used primarily, and if it would the end user would want to make accurate short burst or use the spray and pray method of sending rounds down range. I mean would the weapon be vehicle mounted with the option of taking it that mount for dismount use? Would it be used be the Platoon MG team weapon? Vehicle would probably be M240, if it was the Platoon MG or dismount team MG it would be M60 from the past. The PK wouldn't be bad choice if you were looking for spray and pray too keep head downs.

MG3 being basically WWII designed (ironic same one used as based for the M60 and M240/MAG) scaled to 7.62N wouldn't be bad choice either. Forget which WWII era gun it based off, I want to say MG42 and Allied troops hated it since it had such a high rate of fire. Of course by this time of the war the Germans had the habit of issuing less Rifles and more sub-machineguns too. Oh well.