View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
At last count (and I will admit I do not have all of the modules) THere were over 1000 !!!! pages of rules, ship lay out forms, and etc.... This isn't rules war...this is rules EXPLOSION!!
Yes, but... you don't have to use all of the rules at once, just like you don't have to use or buy all of the ships. I and my group ignore big chunks of the stuff produced, and we still have fun with it. Heck, two of those guys would be happy with the 20-odd tournament cruisers and no more. Yes, they keep cranking out ships to buy-- they gotta eat, you know!

ADB has stopped adding rules & weapons to the 'base' game, and the core rules are frozen-- they have not been revised in almost 20 years. Nearly all recent additions are to variants or alternate locations, like the Omega or Magellanic Sectors, which do not interface with the 'canon' part of the galaxy.

BTW, I will suggest the Federation Commander game, also from ADB, which is a simplified and stripped-down Star Fleet Battles. A lot of what people call rules bloat is gone.