View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I would think rather than building new items from scratch which has been covered by many. And the big issue is not the items, but the parts to put these items together.

I would also like to add,

SKILLED PERSONNEL to do this. Simply put, brain drain. We lost a lot of people at the end of the Cold War who either retired or went on to other industries. So, rounding them up and getting their skillset back would take time. Or training new people would also take time.

REFURBISHING EQUIPMENT IN STORAGE:

This is easier than rebuilding from scratch, but would still require new parts and components. And it would also require skilled personnel.

Otherwise, aircraft that have been properly mothballed can be brought online in a month IF the right people are available.

Smaller ships again if properly mothballed could be brought online in about that amount of time. Six months to a year for capital ships.

For other vehicles, about 30 days turnaround from disassembly to rebuild provided spares and talent are available. In some cases the time can be much less. Basicaly the less complicated the vehicle the quicker the turnaround.

A reading of a production facility, they once the line is up and producing could rebuild and put out about 200 Humvees a month. That is of course multiple lines producting round the clock which during War time would be assumed.

Another assumption, if we were at war time production all shifts would be at max capacity unlike now where the bulk of the workforce is during he day shift and the swing and graveyard are a fraction of day shift.

I do wonder if any of us are considering full staffed round the clock production 24-7 at the same rate. Unlike in our life times, swing and graveyard shifts tend to be much less than day shift.

The big problem I see has already been mentioned. Much like being in a fast paced advance. Out running your supplies. So that your lines are all shut down due to a lack of parts.

Next. Personnel as I mentioned. Skilled personnel to do the work, or training them. Even being on an assembly line will take six months to get up to speed.

And personnel to man this gear. I would imagine there would be a draft or recall of troops within their IR obligation.

But, where would we get enough people who knew how to operate these systems on active duty? A lot of guys from the Cold War era would have 3 issues.

1.) Our skills have perished.
2.) Technology has advanced that a lot of it is alien to us.
3.) Time has attacked us and lowered our Con, Agility and Stature.