View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 01:15 AM

For me, the core of the game is the post-apocalyptic survival. How we get there is immaterial, but if the crux of the game is centered around the year 2000, then there are certain limitations you have to work with.

Retaining the Warsaw Pact which, again with hindsight, was rotten to the core by the mid-80s and had effectively ceased to exist in everything but name in 1989, is a dumb way to do that. FL is, for what I can tell, no longer extrapolating the what-if of the Warsaw Pact but rather the what-if of the infant death that the rest of us experienced as the New World Order of the post-cold war era. Without the Pact and the Soviet masters, the world was an arguably far less stable place in the 90s than in the 80s and is rife with possibility.

Your - and my own - handwringing about what will become of the lore is a futile exercise in mutual exasperation until FL release more details about where we're going. I sense maybe you're expecting the worst while I'm withholding judgement.

I'm also totally prepared to be let down (Twilight 2013 was especially detached from reality and understanding of the world, IIRC) and for me, the lore is everything. I'm a bit worried that I've just wasted $100 or so Kickstarting a game I'll never play and whose presence on my shelf will only serve as a dust-gathering totem of my disappointment. But I've got hope that FL will hire enough good people with those flush coffers to do the right thing.