View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 02:28 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell-fish View Post
For me, the core of the game is the post-apocalyptic survival.
On this, I have no disagreement.

Quote:
How we get there is immaterial, but if the crux of the game is centered around the year 2000, then there are certain limitations you have to work with.
On this, I'm 50% - I agree with you on the limitations and what you have to work with but for me, how we get there in the first place is important enough to warrant a logical reason (and I don't care about real world logic, it has to have logic that works for the game world)

Quote:
Retaining the Warsaw Pact which, again with hindsight, was rotten to the core by the mid-80s and had effectively ceased to exist in everything but name in 1989, is a dumb way to do that.
With this, we will probably have to agree to disagree. I don't care about the real world logic, I want the game world logic to make sense. If the game world logic & lore makes sense, then it's a lot easier to suspend disbelief.
We only know about the weakness of the Warsaw Pact because we can view it through the lens of history - but that really isn't so important when we are talking about alternate history and even less so when we are talking about applying alternate history to a hobby that is gamed for the enjoyment of it.
If we have to apply the real world onto the game, then D&D, Call of Cthulhu, ShadowRun, Paranoia and every other RPG I've played has to be tossed into the garbage bin because none of them conform strictly to the real world.

Quote:
Your - and my own - handwringing about what will become of the lore is a futile exercise in mutual exasperation until FL release more details about where we're going. I sense maybe you're expecting the worst while I'm withholding judgement.
Again, I don't disagree with you but up to a point. I was cautiously optimistic at first. However I own Tales From the Loop and as more was revealed about Free League's ideas for T2k, I got less optimistic.
The year Zero rules are not rules I would bother with for any long term game. They're fine for episode of the week type games but as mentioned, I feel T2k is a "survival after the apocalypse" game and while episode of the week certainly can work for that, I see more potential in a long term campaign than I do in a series of not necessarily connected series of episodes. I don't get the feeling from the Year Zero rules that they are particularly good for imparting the feeling of surviving in a gritty post-apoc like Twilight: 2000.

Quote:
I'm also totally prepared to be let down (Twilight 2013 was especially detached from reality and understanding of the world, IIRC) and for me, the lore is everything. I'm a bit worried that I've just wasted $100 or so Kickstarting a game I'll never play and whose presence on my shelf will only serve as a dust-gathering totem of my disappointment. But I've got hope that FL will hire enough good people with those flush coffers to do the right thing.
And in what is possibly a surprise for many, I too backed the kickstarter despite my reservations. I don't know if I will care for the end result and I know for certain I will never play it with the Year Zero rules, but I still felt strongly enough that the product should have a chance (something that the rest of the world rarely understands about us Australians, we actually do believe in giving something a fair go, even if we believe it might be doomed to failure. Even if we complain bitterly about it, typically we still try to give something a fair go).

Ultimately, time will tell. I am waiting on the alpha to be delivered to all of us kickstarter backers and even if it stinks like a fresh turd, there's still the opportunity to make it better as the alpha set is being offered with the idea of attracting feedback before the core products go to the printers.
As I said, time will tell.