View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 04:52 AM

By 1996, I was out of the AD USAF and a 38 year old attorney still subject to recall. Military background was transportation/logistics with most of my service in MAC loading cargo birds. However, I had a pilot's license and an engineering degree. I had had an internship with Raytheon in the early 80s working on radar systems - more specifically in AIM-54A and B program with some AWG-9 overlap. I'm sure I would have been flying in the USAF, but alas I am nearsighted, and with all those F-4 navigators looking for jobs in the early 80s, vision waivers were unattainable.

By 1997 and nukes flying, I have always thought that anyone in the USAF that knew how to fly was going to end up in a flying unit - waivers issued automatically and age limit up to 45. With all those F-4 back in the inventory, I think I would have ended up as a GIB in either a F-4D or F-4C, and likely grounded by late 1998. Then sent to an Army unit where my hunting/shooting and horseback skills made me most useful as a sniper in a cavalry unit.

Surviving anyway.