View Single Post
Old 02-18-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied View Post
James,

It appears in 1990 they split the 207 Inf Grp in two. The three pure Scout Bns fell under 297 Inf Grp and the others (IIRC one Lt Inf which was a temporary RO for 6 LID, one hybrid Light, and one hybrid Mech) stayed as the 207th. That October 1990 issue lists both of them. Just don’t know the answer to why? One of those things lost in those early end of the Cold War days I guess….
There had to be some history there. Think about the US Army/ American Vehicle Guides for a moment. The 1st and 2nd IB, the 2nd is the 207th as stated. The 1st states that it is an Alaskan ARNG Bde that assumed responsibility for internal security and LRRP along the Bering Strait. I have a hard time believing in coincidences. There had to be some talk in the early 1980s of putting an additional bde sized combat unit in the AK NG. Which eventually produced the 297the IG IMO.

Quote:
Thanks I didn't even think about the air mileage! You do have a point, but do you think they would have withdrawn a PACOM Div while the Soviets were fighting (with a ton of troops) in the Far East and Korea kicking off?
I suppose it came down to which theater needed the manpower more and it is alot easier to shift the 6ID east to Europe rather than the 7th or the Electric Strawberry.

Quote:
For 10 LID, it looks like they were going to use Griffiss AFB near Utica (before it closed).
Sounds right, it was late when I was writing that last nite. Utica changes the mileage to 3,585 mi.

Quote:
Shrike, go over to tanknet, 297 Inf Gp shows up in the October 1990 edition "Army: Magazine of Landpower"
Yesterday 04:31 PM
Great find Louie!