View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Regarding sealift capacity: My premise assumes the presence of the Tarawa in the western Baltic (and I thought this was your position as well). With one or two additional amphibs, I don't see why a good chunk of 2 MarDiv can't be landed behind WTO lines in order to assist in the envelopment of the Polish units near the coast and west of Gdansk. To transport my battalion-sized TF, I used two smaller, former East German landing craft and a couple of converted minelayers/sweepers. I don't think that I'm going overboard here. Remember, not all of 2 MarDiv is conducting landings- a good part of it and all of its heavy armor is pushing east overland towards Gdansk.
Why do you need the Tarawa I mean both Denmark and Germany have islands suitable for launching coastal raids. You mention divisionary attacks; well having a few companies land along the Polish coast is a good way to tying up troops. Having marines doing raids vs. sea based invasion means for supply they carry it all with them, they then withdraw. Also instead of huge anti ship missile target let not forget the RFA Sir Galahad in Flaklands in 1982.

Many of the NATO nations have marines and landing craft that are capble of conducting raid along the baltic coast.

I think added a few RM Raiders and Dutch Marines would also allow a PC unit to have character of other nationalites

Also most of former East German Navy Equipment was scrapped or sold in early 1991

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_ship_classes