View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Okay everyone is asleep but, how many personnel does PB2 have?

Is PB2 the same scale as PB1 or larger, or smaller?
I think in order to answer that question you would need to define what other function PB2 would fill with PB1 operational. For example, the XO of a ship takes over if the CO is incapacitated, but if the CO is fine then the XO still has a host of responsibilities. So what does PB2 do?

If you/we/canon doesn't have a solid answer, then I would suggest that PB2 is probably just a slightly beefed-up regional command base. Take a normal RCB and give it a bit better comms and planning staff, but not much - you would have to assume that resources could be better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Where geographically? PB1 is located in northen redacted to avoid a near miss by a soviet strike.

Is PB2 situated the same way? Is PB2 located on the opposite coast as PB1, or is it offshore in the U.S. Virgin islands, the Aleutians, or the Hawaiian chain?
I would assume opposite coast but mainland. You have regional command bases already, if you need an HQ off CONUS you probably don't have a Project to command any more.

Quote:
Does PB2 also have a large contingent of non combatants?
Almost certainly not.

Quote:
More commo?
Than what? PB1? Absolutely not. But probably more than anyone else. Communications is probably the most vital requirement of command.

Quote:
More production facilities?

More supplies?
While PB1 probably would have seen some advantage in having so much collocated, spreading the rest out seems to make more sense. That is, the total risk to the Project is probably minimized by having PB2 be just a planning and coordination center, with as little else as possible.

Quote:
Or is it the prototype that was moved to backup status with PB1 online? Essentially meaning it is at best half the scale of PB1.
I suppose it could be an outdated facility, but if so it would be likely stripped down and largely empty.

Quote:
Is it compromised? Is it knock offline by Soviets or suspicious elements of the U.S. forces striking out in all directions?
Yes, it is compromised. One way or the other, the story of TMP requires that all national command elements are out of the way. If PB2 existed, it was either destroyed or kept from waking.

BTW, it is always worthwhile to remember that the creators (and continuers) of this game took a lot of liberties with "good sense planning" to create the gaming environment they desired. There are times when "this doesn't make sense" is the correct thing to say, and your choices are either to go off-canon or ignore the problem.

Quote:
Does it have any capabilities that PB1 did not offensive, defensive, or purely reconstruction?
I cannot see why it would.

Quote:
What kind of personnel were emplaced there?
Assuming that it is a beefed-up regional command base, I would say it would have the best crew available for those bases, with a carefully set of skills that would allow them to rebuild PB1's most important functions on the skeletal framework of PB2. I would add a 3-9 man Phoenix contingent as well - it always bugged me that Phoenix would be in one location, those guys would have known how ridiculous a risk that was, having at least one other Phoenix group here makes sense to me.