View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
I do not know about first generation AT4's but current production ones, are terrible weapons. Every time a unit would go to the life fire range we had to have an EOD team on standby so that when they called us because they had a "Dud" we could get the range open again quickly. It was not really that they have a high dud ratio, it is that they have so many safeties that they do not work well. Their was one AT-4 range that had been shut down for years we were training our company, each day we sent one team out to find and destroy as many AT-4 rockets as they could at the end of the week (seven teams) we destroyed well over 1000 "Dud" rockets.

I hate to break it to you, they probably just told you that to make you feel safe, but the Soviet ones do not have any safeties on them either, not in less you count the cardboard cover over the piezo as a safety. Most Soviet weapons have very few if any safeties.
Guerillas who just stuff the spares in a ruck find out bouncing them ticks off the arming counter and it will blow up when loaded in the launcher. Also most experienced RPG gunners remove the scope, it's easy to get a viscous "scope eye". Told to me by former force recon guys from the Reagan era.