View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk
I know nothing about combat, radios or electricty. But having read a few after action reports of modern day urban confilcts, almost all spoke about the difficulties of being able to stay in contact with each other or home base.

I dont know what frequency or anything they were using. But hte impression i got was that even with "the best", having regular comms became difficult in an urban environment. So while i know nothing, even the USA has struggled in modern day times. So whether a UHF would improve things or not, i dont know. But from a game point of view, having PCs out of comms for a while isnt always a bad thing :-) and seems realistic compared to real life as well.
I've always favored something like the "Family Radio Service" (FRS) radios mixed with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) that uses if the 462/467 Mc bands on UHF for some comms, at least in my Morrow Project games, FRS radios supplement the regular radios and are used for short range tactical comms. I think FRS came out in 1996 so in a Twilight World, it might not be as far ahead as it is now, but certainly on a technical level, doable.

Chuck M.