View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
On a related note, I once asked a friend in the electronics industry what core components and materials would be needed to be stashed (in a Faraday Cage to exclude EMP effects) to allow a quick restart of the Integrated Circuitry industry, even on just a small to medium scale, if only to produce simple ICs to fix phones, personal computers, vehicle emission control modules (fuel efficiency there)? I never got an answer, but the question remains: what if some tinfoil-hat paranoid crank with some bucks did stash such a cache of bleeding edge/not the best and brightest technology, including photoetching materials, etc, etc.?
Actually, all the technology needed to do that was available in New England. The machines, starting from lower tech, non-computer driven chip builders on up to full manufacturing facilities. And software teams
. And the people who knew how to repair, rebuild, and use them; all within a 60 mile radius of Maynard, MA (Digital Equipment Corporation's HQ), some 25 miles west of Boston.

(This was one of my points about New England, it's lack of nuclear targets, and available power sources.)

Uncle Ted