Thread: WWBEMD?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
There are many options for time travel, but, and this is important, this is not really a time travel story. We get to select how time travel works, but we do so to support the real story, that of a plucky band of high-tech saviors 150 years post apocalypse. The details really only matter with respect to being internally consistent and steering towards that story.

There are parts of this that I like. At the end of the tv series, for example, it looks they address the observer effect and how to work around it (see also the movie Millennium and Heinlein's last few books). But this story focuses more on the story of the time travelers, BEM in our case, and really we only really care about the world as it exists after his last change... if any.
I agree. I put this forward as a possible look into BEM's mental state as the time counts down, especially if he tried and failed in his attempts to right things. I see the story primarily as a psychological take on the main protagonist. As I watched the series, primarily the last quarter, with my sons I kept thinking this would be how BEM felt. Just my take.