View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 04:05 PM

That's the reason I changed the battle plans for my Operation Fredric. The plan of III Army was to consolidate all the area north of the Warta and west of the Vistula, old Prussia. At the same time they tasked the Yanks to secure the coal fields north of the Warta in the vic. Konin-Kolo area, where the Warta comes from the south and turns west.

The attacks were also prepped with insertion of contact teams. They were hopeful of getting PVA units to turn and drive the Soviets from their country, but alas that wasn't overy successful.

But 5 ID(M) did have a bonified mission, the coal fields. Getting caught by the horde from the east wasn't in the game plan for them however. I had my players as members of a rifle company HQ section (cook, clerk, first sergeant, supply sergeant, medic, mechanic) and stragglers picked up (tank crew from destroyed M1 (they ran out of ammo and fuel) an engineer, a female doctor (whose ambulance hit a mine evacuating critical-injured) and three wounded not hurt badly enough to really deserve the ride in an ambulance.

The 5th was having a fighting withdrawl, but only the elements still north of the Warta. When the pickings got easy, with relatively light resistance, and a lull, the corps commander ordered the division south of the Warta to vic Turek-Uniejow. They were getting pounded and retrograde northwest was ordered. However the Alleycats got spread out far and thin, and cut off SOUTH of the river, then lost communications with higher.

Alas the game came to an end when half the players (RL military) got deployed.

Grae.