View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 AM

Only typos I saw were that picture 6 is captioned as soldiers from 1st Troop, which should be 1st Squadron, I assume. The 2004 organization shows a C Squadron that would be C Company (as a tank pure unit) or C Troop under US usage. Not sure if the Germanification of the plays a role in the nomenclature by that point.

On the Etranger 2300AD group, "Panzerkavellerie Regiment" passed muster among German members as an acceptable German rendering of the American term for 11th and 107th ACR and portions of 1st Cav Div which remained on the books with the German military in the 24th century, with those units being pretty tradition-bound and flashy components of the Bavarian military before reunification.

Quote:
Thanks. My main aim for the reasoning behind the non-evacuation was to show some of the possible reasons for not evacuating.
I think the US units left behind in Germany and Poland are probably a mix of it being logistically unfeasible to get back (obvious for the real outliers like 8th ID and 2nd MarDiv, but likely a big issue for many others) and units that were war weary enough and settled in enough in their cantonments that they preferred their present circumstances to the unknown. Part of it may be German and other non-American recruits making their sentiments felt, but I suspect a bunch of it is American veterans who by 2000 have German wives and other roots in their cantonment areas and more loyalty to their immediate unit than any higher headquarters after the world fell apart.

Quote:
Very good work - really brings the regiment to life. However I dont agree with the 3rd ACR staying in Germany because it didnt want to go home and fight CivGov units - for one with the Russians and Mexicans still occupying US territory there are lots of foreign enemies for them to fight still.

I think it was more that they didnt agree with the decision to leave a US ally in the lurch - i.e. the Germans and British troops who were still fighting the Soviets - and also the fact that there were US troops still cut off in Poland.
American units mutinying against higher headquarters and defecting to foreign armies because they were motivated and eager to keep bashing on the Russians seems improbable to me. First, I don't think anyone by 2000 is especially eager for action -- pretty much everyone on the ground in Europe at that point is very much an old soldier and natural selection will have culled the hell out of anyone who was especially eager to rush into battle. The veterans by 2000 will be, or have become, pragmatists and realists. Second, I'd think any units that were really eager scrappers by that point, if any existed, would also tend to be loyal to higher HQs.