View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 03:25 PM

During the Interwar Period, there was a lot of experimentation into what made a tank good. Walter Christie thought it was paper-thin armor and a lot of speed. His M1931 was adopted as the T3 Medium Tank and used for a few years before being retired as too difficult to use, too hard to maintain, and generally inadequate. In large part this was due to Christie's refusal to modify the tanks per the Army's wishes and the subsequent poor relationship leading to parts shortages. Some of the stats will be speculative due to a lack of information. Some information is doubled up because this was one of Christie's convertible tanks that could run on wheels or treads.

Christie T3 Medium Tank
Fire Control: 0
Armament: 37mm M1916, .30 M1919 (both in turret)
Ammo: 240x37mm, 1500x7.62mm
Fuel Type: G
Veh Wt: 10 tonnes
Crew: 2 (driver, commander/gunner)
Mnt: 5
Night Vision: None
(Tracked)
Tr Mov: 96/77
Com Mov: 19/15
(Wheeled)
Tr Mov: 128/26
Com Mov: 30/6
Fuel Cap: 340
Fuel Cons: 100
Config: Veh
Susp: T:2/W:2
HF: 5
HS: 3
HR: 3
TF: 4
TS: 4
TR: 4

37mm L/21 M1916
Rld: 1 Rng: 220
HE: C:1 B:7 Pen: Nil
KE: Dam: 8 Pen: 2/2/1/1

The armament is known, but the ammunition load is speculative. I gave it the same amount of 37mm ammunition as the Renault FT (the M1916 is the American version of the Puteaux SA 18) and assumed 6 belts for the coaxial machine gun. Reported speeds vary, so I picked from among them. Fuel capacity was given as 89 gallons (albeit from a non-authoratative source), which I converted and rounded, and the range was such that I estimated it could run for ~3.5 4-hour periods assuming maximum range was achieved at half of the top speed. The hull armor is based on data, while the turret armor is a guesstimate.

So, you end up with a fast tank that can be penetrated by heavy machine guns and has a pretty pathetic armament. It is fast, though, and its use of a 338-horsepower Liberty V-12 gives it a high power/weight ratio.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.