View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj3 View Post
You seem to assume that supplies can be used for one thing only.

Stockpiled food and temporary shelter are multi-purpose items.

In terms of 'unlimited resources', the Project has fusion power and cryotubes.
Depending on whether or not you follow canon slavishly, they also have
weapons of mass destruction. The Project must be extremely well resourced to have such these!

How much gear is too much for a given team?

Reconstruction (rebuild infrastructure)
Restoration (of physical and social environment)
Rehabilitation (of the survivors)
Restitution (governance rather than settling claims of loss in the Morrow setting!)

The Project's activity has to cover all these options to some extent.

The Project's activity has to cover all these options to some extent.
Rob,

I seem to think supplies can be used for one thing only if they are in fact used for one thing only. In this case, the stumbling block is food. Food and pre-fab shelter are short-term solutions to long-terms problems. How much is too much? 27 containerloads to feed 3,000 people for 3 months is too much, in my opinion.

I do agree that pre-fab shelter can be re-purposed to house workers, although it's not truly multi-purpose. Certainly, I'll concede that point.

Fusion, cryotubes, even WMDs are either small or crucial to Project operations, worth the expenditure. Storing food and shelter takes an enormous amount of space that can go to other materials that are specifically meant for reconstruction. It's a question of "bang for your buck" in terms of space and manufacturing capabilities.

I like the list you quote, although the link is no longer active. The Project can cover all the elements listed without taking "immediate" disaster relief into account.

Tony