View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Some bloke

dragoon500ly wrote:
Quote:
My own throught behind the 90-day food supply was to assume worst case (no food) and the minimum amount of time for crops to grow.
I think that's very reasonable - assuming you can grow food (shades of 'The Road'?).

Quote:
The limiting factor is just how many people could be supported by the Camp In A Box and above all else, just how many survivors/refugees a single team could support.
It should be a relatively small number - from the 'Farm in a Box' thread, 34,500 person-days food per 20' ISO container is an upper limit.

Area and Regional Agriculture teams are the ones who can really assist in longer term food production.

Tony Stroppa wrote:
Quote:
27 containerloads to feed 3,000 people for 3 months is too much, in my opinion.
What are you feeding people with? 9 containers of rice or corn will provide the required amount of calories - bland, but it's an emergency diet. If you don't need to eat it directly, plant it or feed livestock with it.

Quote:
I like the list you quote, although the link is no longer active.
Quarantelli E.L. The Disaster Recovery Process: What we know and do not know from research. University of Delaware Disaster Research Center Preliminary Paper 286.

Google Scholar gives this alternate link. Replace the %20 with a space:
http://dspace.udel.edu:8080/dspace/b...%20286.pdf.txt

Quote:
I think that the Project is best served by concentrating on industrial infrastructure. Agriculture teams should be focused on returning mechanisation to agriculture (by applying high-tech solutions like fusion power) to enhance all food production.
Industrial infrastructure?
Are cattle feedlots and high intensity piggeries/battery farms 'industrial infrastructure'? I think a fertiliser plant counts.

Do Agricultural teams make plows, combines and tractors?

Agricultural teams help people grow food. Mechanisation is a small (but highly visible) component of modern high-yield agriculture.

At a minimum, Ag teams need skills in agronomy, pedology, climatology, applied climatology, entomology, environmental toxicology, microbiology, mycology and veterinary medicine.