Thread: Berlin in 1996
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

Well,
Actually doing research for a wargaming supplement here. And to be honest, I have heard different numbers on just how big the stockpile was. I have heard numbers anywhere from "30 days worth" to "several months". Take it for what it is worth. I think 60 days of combat operations is probably about right. Then again, where are the stockpiles?

And do the East Germans and Soviets know where they are? If they do...then that's something that the MfS saboteurs, as well as the Willi Sanger Air Assault Battalion was supposed to take care of..then again, Willi Sanger was also supposed to seize the airfields at Templehof and Tegel....hard to say what the real role of those guys were.

I am basing a lot of my opinions on this article, which I am sure many of you have read, which appeared in Armor Magazine in 1994. While most of the East German war plans did not survive the fall of the East German regime in 1989, the plans for West Berlin, strangely did.

The article is quite illuminating, and can be found here.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).