Thread: Prime Base
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
The problem with the ranch has always been placement. I cattle ranch on top of the ridge makes even less sense. A lot of water will need to get pumped up for the cows. Cows are not exactly all terrain animals so getting them up and down the steep slopes might cause issues (unless these are the cute highland cows). A Ranch in such a commanding position would make a very good post whoops location. If it is still standing the buildings offer shelter. The windmill pumping water offers that life-giving resource. If the cows are still alive they are a huge resource.
Cows will surprise you. I worked a summer on a dairy farm. I never want that job again. Milking were 4am and 4pm starts and last about three hours. Then another two sometimes four hours of cleaning to get ready to do it again.

Typically, myself and the other guy didn't have to go get the cows. They would be at the gate waiting for us. Once a month or so, something would spook them and they would be in the hills. We would have to go find them. Out on ATVs in the dark and the cold. Fortunately, some grain would remind them that there was sweet molasses grain in the bin and they would obediently come back down.

If this happened to many times the dairy owner and some others would arrange a dog/coyote hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
This leads to a question about the cows. When the balloon goes up do they get euthenized? Do they get herded into the base (How the Hell do you decon a cow?), because if left free to wander about they will attract everyone with a knife and a hibachi.

I'm still liking the paper to mulch conversion plant.

Terry
I think you just leave them. If ringing the cow bell and the time of day doesn't have them at the barn; just let them go.

I have seen plans on the internet for earth sheltered barns for protecting livestock after a nuclear exchange. Always to small (pens), not enough fodder, and no place to remove the tremendous amount of manure cows produce.

Better to slaughter them, keep a small number of cows for breeding, and use artificial insemination of good stock after the radiation has died down.

This ranch can also be the place that the ag teams are supplied the cryosleep contained livestock too.