View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
thats whats worrying me - i.e. what is the threshhold to kick the new version off - and are we looking at possibly a single release of a rulebook and new version of Escape from Kalisz or are they putting together multiple modules that follow one after the other to build interest in the game?

That was one thing that V2.2 really didnt have - they only really released two scenarios - Bangkok and the rehash of Krakow. And based on Krakow you had to think eventually many of the V1 modules would have been rewrites as well - but that never happened.
<snip>
I think you're spot on with this but I'd add a minor correction and a confirmation.
I believe the first adventure module GDW released for 2nd Ed. was Castle by the Sea. There was also Operation Crouching Dragon but that was meant for Merc: 2000
The rehash of Krakow was definitely the start of republishing at least some of the 1st Ed. modules for the 2nd edition. It was volume one of the Vistula Epic, volume two would have been Death on the Vistula and volume three would have been Warsaw Phoenix.
These three modules are (if I remember) 2.2 versions of The Free City of Krakow, Pirates of the Vistula and The Ruins of Warsaw respectively.

Unfortunately, the Vistula Epic was being published in 1995 and as we know, various things happened at that time that saw GDW close up shop.
But I believe this really reinforces your point, I think 2nd Ed. was published in 1990 or 1991? Castle by the Sea was published in 1992. The 2.2 rules book was released in 1993 and then nearly two years later they were starting to release European adventure modules.
So almost five years after the release of 2nd edition T2k they were finally starting to put out a series of 2nd Ed. adventure modules set in Europe (which just happened to be the beginning location of the game setting!). T2k gamers knew there was plenty of material for the game because 1st Ed. had something like two dozen advenure modules.

That's a bit too long between drinks so to speak. There was already a ton of material written for Europe and North America so why wasn't it being seen in 2nd Ed.? To be fair, I reckon GDW felt that it wasn't a good idea to make players pay for the same info they already had from the 1st Ed. modules. I suppose they believed that players could convert the 1st Ed. modules over to 2nd Ed. easily enough.
I think that they were also a little pre-occupied with Armor 21 as their next incarnation of the military rpg.

So anyway, taking all that in view of talk of a 4th edition release, yeah, I hope that they have a plan for more than just a rule book and some equipment supplements. If not I don't see that it'll have any longevity or wider appeal. It'd be just another niche game with a minor release of product. If that's the case, I can't see it being worth putting money in for their kickstarter.