View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull View Post
Yeah and the .30 cal machine guns and the BAR seem to last a long time than many people would give them credit for. The .30 cal either air or water cooled weren't the best weapon in class, but were more functional than some of the garbage others were peddling around.

Could you think if he had made an Assault Rifle system. It probably would still be in use and no one would ever bother with AK...Oh well.
Yeah, what could have been...unfortunately, he died part-way through the design process of the HP-35. At least FN continued on with making the HP-35 his way, and I'm sure they're happy they made that decision every day. I sometimes wonder if FN is getting royalties from all those pistol manufacturers that copied John Browning's HP-35 operation in their pistols.

I still think that one of the best assault rifle designs post-World War 2 was the Enfield EM-2. It sucks that the US were politically such bullies in NATO at the time - that .280 round was also being tested with the prototypes of the FAL and the CETME-58, and it was a damn sight better than the 7.62mm NATO and the later 5.56mm NATO.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 05-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.