View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
We changed the rate of fire to match the real world rate of fire by doubling the allowed number of bursts to be fired (not the ROF stats of the guns pr se ).
An interesting observation is that if you are using v2.2 (not sure about 2.0), and your init > 5, then the real world ROF is equal to game ROF because they get 2 actions.

Q. So if 2.0 similar to v1 for initiative and hesitation?

I'm also not happy with the melee rules, and have removed many of the types of unarmed attacks because I thought that they were flawed. We also use all kinds of (mostly subtle) house rules.

Back to the initiative pros and cons:
So far no one has complained about the one Init 7 character and his actions, but I'm still not happy. First thing I did was to remove Move as an action that could be done twice in a round because I didn't want him running twice as fast as everyone else. I've changed the rate of gaining Initiative to the recommended rate in (I think) spec ops. (you need Init squared and not Init to advance a Init Level), so that keeps the Init 5 char's advance slow to needing about 36 firefights (or maybe a bit less), while the Init 2 char only needs 9.

What I like about the 2.2 system (which has no 6x5 second rigid time units) is that it flows very quickly. We had a massive firefight with a bunch of new players who were unfamiliar with the rules, and there was shooting, automatic fire, grenade launchers, grenades, melee and unarmed combat, and combat against vehicles, all in the same battle. At the end of it everyone breathed a massive sigh of relief as the tension lifted, and everyone agreed that the system worked quickly and fluidly and that the pacing of the action was not thrown off.

Initiative checks are used if someone is shot (knocked down) and I use a threat level mechanic taken from tw2013, so lower init characters can still have a lot of time wasted by hesitations in the v2.2 rules.
Threat levels https://sites.google.com/site/leonpo...attredirects=0, I have printed and laminated them and we use it to track current initiative and threat level.

I tried to playtest quickly with a friend v1ish rules - this is what happended:
Characters, Int 7, 3 and 2 get caught under automatic fire:
turn 1
- init 7 - returns fire
- init 2 - discusses with init 3 about current orders (to flank)
turn 2
- init 7 - returns fire
- init 2 - returns fire
turn 3
- init 7 - fires under barrel grenade launcher (indirect)
- init 2 - hesitates (in cover I'm assuming)
- init 3 - runs from cover towards building
turn 4
- init 7 - fires loads grenade launcher
- init 2 - hesitates
- init 3 - hesitates (in open)
turn 5
- init 7 - fires under barrel grenade launcher (indirect)
- init 2 - hesitates
turn 6
- init 7 - fires loads grenade launcher
- init 2 - hesitates

Comments - character with init 2 would be bored, at least in this exchange of fire. Init 3 should have put his hesitations first so that he could run on the last turn of the phase, so that the following phase he could then repeat the run action 6 times. But this feels clunky to me and artificial. One observation is that it forces characters to pre-plan combat because one or more discussion/talk actions stuff up the whole phase for use with repeated actions, and I like that aspect.

Hesitations would also stuff around with tank crews. An init 3 gunner who is alternatively aiming and firing (with the loader loading) could do only fire/aim/fire in a phase rather than fire/aim/fire/aim/fire/aim - basically the rate of fire is halved.

[edit] - what I also want to avoid is a situation such as:
npc init 3, char init 3
npc - move (into cover)/shoot/shoot/hes/hes/hes
char - hes/hes/hes/run (around and stand next to the npc)/shoot/shoot
the npc just looks dumbly at the pc standing next to them shooting...

Last edited by leonpoi; 07-03-2009 at 06:54 PM.