View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ed the Coastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood
Then there's stumbling across a deserted Mormon house. I'f I'm not mistaken, they're supposed to keep a years food on hand.
We're supposed to...but I know of only a handful in my area who actually do. My family and I don't, largely because we live in an apartment and there is no room for such a cache.

What you almost always can find in the home of an LDS member, however, is a Ward or Stake directory...a phone book listing the addresses of other church members in the area. Somebody in that book is likely to have a large cache of food...

...assuming that it is still there. In the event of an emergency along the lines of the Twilight War, many LDS members will "circle the wagons" and gather at the church building with whatever food and other supplies they can bring with them. Many LDS members become active locally in disaster response organizations such as CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) or are even volunteer firefighters, so they tend to have that equipment as well.

Not that marauders would find them to be an easy target...a respectably large percentage of LDS males tend to serve at least one hitch in the military, and a significant percentage of those serve that hitch in some branch of combat arms in not some special operations component. (Without going into details, the Elders' Quorum alone in my own Ward claims nearly a dozen combat veterans among those members with prior military service, including three former Rangers and one ex-Special Forces medic. That doesn't count the veterans in the High Priests' Quorum, nor the female military veterans among the Relief Society.)