View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
I have T2K13 but didn't read most of the rules (getting too old for that) but I have used a variable term length for years, it works fine. Usually, I use a mix between 3 and 4 year terms for civilians.

I use 2 years term for first military training and back to 4 years term for regular service (I stick to my grand father saying: armies in peacetime are useless and costly).

I only use 1 year term for troops at the front (I assume that you have a tendency to learn faster when shells start to fall all around you).

Wartime training is another thing entirely (You can be drafted, shown were the trigger is and send to active duty, up to you and to the country of birth).

One thing has been overlooked by the basic rule and this is the military service that most civilians in Europe would have had up to the end of the cold war. Most European countries only switched to professionnal army in the second half of the 1990's. As a result, most European soldiers (East and West) would have received basic training when the war starts (even drafted ones). The level of training depending on your age. If you follow v1.0 and v2.2, characters in their 40's (Limited age to be drafted was around 45) would have received almost full basic training (18 month training). characters in their 30's would have received slightly reduced training (12 month training). characters in their 20's would have received much reduced training (10 month only).

Works fine that way for me.
I've got a question re. your variable terms - do you apply the age saving throw when the character enters the age range, e.g. 29-33, or at the end, when they reach 33?