Thread: AKM or AK-74
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 AM

Default AKM or AK-74

Hey everyone

I was wondering what you usually have WP soldiers armed with. Now I know at the time of the original printing of T2K not much was known about the AK-74 though the book does mention it, and also converted AKM's that use the 5.45X39mm round. Granted not all of the WP countries made a 5.45X39mm AK variant in fact when Russia invaded Georgia recently there troops where still armed with 7.62X39mm AKM. So sattellite nations are likely to still be armed with AKM's either of Russian Manufacture of of there own manufacture.

That being said by the 1990's in real life the AK-74 had supplanted the AKM in the hands of the Russians for more than a decade. By Afghanistan most of the Russian Army was equipped with the AK-74. Most of the eastern block countries made there own versions of the 74, but later in the 1980's. Countries like Romania made millions of AKM's and still do today, though they also make 74's the AKM seem more prevalent. Hungary stuck with the 7.62X39mm AK and made there own version the AMD-63 and AMD-65 as well as more standard clones of AKM's with fixed butt stock and under folding butt stocks as well.

So I guess my question is do you usually have WP forces armed by there country of origin? Or just a mix of whatever is available to them at the time? How common is the 5.45X39mm weapons vs. the older 7.62x39mm type.

Brother in Arms