Thread: Survival skills
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
Forget being able to shoot a gun, how many people know enough about farming to plant a garden big enough to live on? I sure don't.
Why forgetting about shooting a gun? I can (Rifle, MG and crossbow) and I can hit a target but that's not that easy and if I know it's because i started practicing when i was less than 10. However, I'm shit with a pistol.
Worse is using a knife, a spear or something like...

For the garden, no problem. I might even know how to care for a garden that is big as a small field (without mechanical machinery).

Quote:
Reloading ammo? I know enopugh to reload small arms ammo, but what about when ready made supplies of powder and caps run out? I'm fairly knowledgable, I could make black powder, but fulminate of mercury for the caps? Smokeless or nitro powder? Ha, go fish.
About the same. However, I can make simple bows and arrows.

Quote:
I know how to ride a horse, but I really don't have much of a clue about taking care of one other than feed and water. And cows and other farm type animals? Just an idea about that.
No problem with that except when it come to cows. Never had to care for any. Horses are not a problem for daily care but problems arrise when it goes down to horseshoes.

Quote:
I can hunt, and butcher game, and figure out how to tan the leather, and one of my hobbies is leather working, so at least I could have clothes and shoes.
I let you hunt. However, I can help you with butchery and I learned how to poach when I was young. I still have memories of that. So we could complementary.

Quote:
How about doctors? Chemists? I can see the local hospital being guarded by the local government's troops, not just because of the drugs, but to protect the skilled personnel. There's an adventure idea- having to kidnap the local physician for an operation. Or being guards for a Doc as he makes his rounds.
Just forget about them and look for the priest or the other local weirdo.
Health taker might be intersting to.

Quote:
Any other valuable skills?
Plantlore: a friend of mine can feed you simply by walking the mountain range and picking plants (I have asked her to teach me). However, this is a local knowledge.

Mushroom lore

Sewing (Yes! I got my wife)

I'm good with wood working (for housecare) but I'm living in a stone house and with that I'm bad, very bad. Need a stone carver.

A plumber can be intersting too and knowing how to make and care for a roof.

You also need someone who knows how to work metal and a glass maker can be useful.

If you don't have the glass maker you need to have some means to carry stuff around: a potter may be or a barrel maker may be.

Something important and widely forgotten is someone capable of caring for your knives and metal tools (don't know the name: someone who knows how to make it sharp without reducing it to the size of a small nail).

I stop here I have to pick up my kids but the list is going to be long, very long.