Thread: Ammo reloading
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 AM

Well for me its like this. I cant see the post war world not having any artillery larger then mortars.

I think that after a time, small limited production of new rounds should be possible for most anything. Even if its perhaps something more along the lines of older WW2 or WW1 style munitions.

Now for the PC's to be able to do this they would need a very stable reloading operation for the components first. And then the dies/machinery to cast the larger rounds. Those would either need to be secured and moved to a new location OR capture/holding of an ammo plant facility.

I am not sure how you would figure out the quantities of each material component for a larger shell but I think I can calculate something based on a small arms reload setup.

Lets say you can produce 200 finished 5.56 rounds per week in your current reload operation. You take the actual weight of the large round you want to reload, divide by the actual weight of the 5.56 round to get the actual equivalent time/materials to make one of those new large rounds.

EXAMPLE:

I have a reload setup running 200 5.56 finished rounds per week.
I want to make new 155mm HE rounds that weigh 50kgs each.
My 5.56 rounds weigh 0.014kg each.
50 / .014 = 3572
Meaning based on my current reload production of 200, I could make one 155m round every 17 weeks. 3572/200=17.85

This would account for the added materials as well as the longer production times for casting the round from scratch.

This would also assume you have the dies/machinery/skills to make the larger rounds in the first place.