View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
I am in agreement with the "evolutionary" theory of improvised-to-standardised armor for gun trucks/technicals..
1. Whatever comes to hand--sandbags, brick/concrete, metal plates, chain link fence and sheet metal (pre-detonation of shaped charge warheads. The sandbags would be easily replaceable, and chain link and sheet metal are ubiquitous, except perhaps in the desert or deep jungle. I can even see garbage dumpsters cannibalized for their nice, large metal plates to be slung/welded to the vehicle.

Question of a technical nature; I have seen and read descriptions of spall liners as upgrades for APCs and other AFVs. Anyone with an Armored or Mechanized background: how hard or possible would it be to remove said spall liners from an otherwise disabled vehicle for reinstallation on a guntruck?
Depends?

Spall liners themselves really are not something that is draped on the inside and hanging loose - its usually incorporated (IE, Bonded) into the armour itself from what I saw. Doesn't make it impossible, just not very practical in my mind.

An exception I know of first hand is the M113A3. In that case, they are sliding doors that are mounted inside part of the hull:

http://personnelcarrier.tpub.com/TM-...77-24P_482.htm

You could take these out and use them - I don't know what sort of protection they would offer.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.